Have you bought a new crown and want it to serve you as well as possible and for as long as possible? In that case, it's time to learn how to properly care for the crown. We have therefore prepared a simple guide for you on how to care for the crown right from the moment you unpack it at home.
How to care for a hookah crown
Proper care of the crown definitely does not mean that before preparing the turnip you will notice that you still have forgotten tobacco in it from the last session. Of course, that is also a possible option, but you certainly cannot expect that the crown will serve you just as well for many years and the taste of the tobacco will be optimal. Crown care should start immediately after purchase and cleaning after use should not be delayed for a long time.
Care of the crown after purchase
You have finally chosen your dream crown, but is it clay and you don't know how to take care of it? Clay or ceramic crowns require special attention when cleaning, as they are most prone to absorbing flavors (molasses). They can be cleaned in several ways and you should take care of them before the first use.
- Rinse the crown with cold water to remove dust.
- Then put it in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Attention, the water must not be hot, not boiling at all! During soaking, the pores are saturated and the crown acquires a suitable surface.
- After soaking, remove the crown from the water, wipe and allow to dry completely (at least 20-40 minutes).
- Charge the test pipe. We recommend using a tobacco that you won't regret if the result isn't perfect. A trial charge is needed to tighten the pores, but you may smell the clay when you use it for the first time.
- After first use, clean the crown, let it dry, load it with good tobacco and keep using it happily.
Cleaning the crown after smoking the pipe
After smoking the pipe, let the crown cool down until it is barely warm to the touch. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water and let it dry.
Before the next use, we recommend to protect the material and extend its service life, repeat the rinse, let it dry for 15 minutes and only then fill.
General cleaning of hookah crown
Once in a while it is advisable to clean the crown properly. If your crown needs general cleaning, bet on one of the following recommendations:
- Place the crown in hot water (not boiling) and let it soak well. This is usually enough to remove the odor and pull the molasses out of the pores.
- Put the crown in the oven and let the molasses bake. The oven will smoke a lot, but the molasses will be removed more effectively. Don't forget to put a baking sheet or baking paper under the crown so that the dripping molasses doesn't contaminate the bottom of the oven.
- You use the first method, but add baking soda to the hot water to absorb the aroma and grease.
Why do ceramic crowns require special care?
Ceramic crowns are made from natural materials. They are shaped by hand on a potter's wheel and then fired in special kilns at a high temperature. Clay is a relatively durable material that has been used since ancient times, but it needs to be properly cared for.
The ceramic surface has a porous structure through which the molasses from the tobacco mixture penetrates. If you do not take care of the crowns, over time these residues are likely to start to affect the flavor when smoking.
Some ceramic crowns are equipped with a glaze that prevents the release of molasses into the crown. The disadvantage, however, is the support of heat conduction, which increases the risk of burning the tobacco in the pipe.
Tips for extending crown life
Do you want your clay crown to last a really long time? Follow our tips and you will extend its life.
- Remove the tobacco from the crown immediately after smoking. The main cause of contamination of the pores of the ceramic surface is the narrowing of the pores when the molasses completely cools down and hardens, which is then poorly washed out of them.
- Instead of ordinary aluminum foil, use the modern Heat Management System, which distributes the heat better inside the crown. span>
- Get several types of crowns and use them according to the type of tobacco. Some purely for light and others purely for dark tobacco.