What could be better than sitting outside with a hookah, enjoying the taste of tobacco and having a quiet conversation with friends? But did you know where coal actually comes from? Or how is it processed? We'll talk about that today.
Specialist shops offer a selection of hundreds of types of tobacco, charcoal and hookah accessories. The rich selection can be confusing for a beginner. If you want to get a clean taste, it is necessary not only to buy quality tobacco, but also to learn the basic information about hookahs. The key point on which the taste of the pipe will depend is the choice of coal.
Types of charcoal for hookahs.
In addition to coconut charcoal, there are the following types: charcoal, walnut shell charcoal, grapevine charcoal, olive pit charcoal. They are sold both in the form of sticks and in the form of tablets or cubes. Each variety has its own characteristics and its fans, but the undisputed favorite is coconut shell charcoal. Coconut coal does not contain an unwanted aftertaste and harmful salt, distributes heat evenly and maintains the desired temperature for a long time. Only the pure taste of tobacco, fruit, sour or dessert flavors.
What you need to make coconut charcoal.
Coconut charcoal is made from coconut shells. This is the main component, but not the only one. Cooking technologies may vary, but the composition of coal is largely always the same. Some components are interchangeable, but the main building block is the coconut shell. Here are the required components:
- quality coconut shell, it must not be wet.
- water, makes it possible to create a fixing in shape.
- manioc root starch extract.
This is what the composition of coconut charcoal from most producers of this product looks like. The last component is the most expensive. This is a special extract that allows the shape of the cube to be preserved even at high temperatures. Therefore, the coal will not break down after 10 minutes of heating, but will retain its shape for a long time. The water allows the cube to form, but it is the cassava root extract that holds it together. Manufacturers can save and replace the natural extract with other ingredients. One of these ingredients is sulfur, which allows it to perform the same functions. But the quality of coconut coal will noticeably deteriorate.
How coconut charcoal is made.
The composition of coconut charcoal is quite simple, but the cooking process is long and difficult. Not all regions are able to provide high quality raw materials. For example, if the coconut shell is wet, the charcoal will smell bad and will not heat up well. It will also crumble. The process of making coconut cubes looks like this:
- The coconut shell is picked by hand, the workers completely remove the coconut flesh.
- The shell is allowed to air dry, the task is to remove all the moisture inside the nut. Larger manufacturers use special dryers.
- At this stage, the "grating" begins. The goal is to obtain a powder that is mixed with water and cassava root extract.
- The resulting slurry is mixed like dough and sent to the press. There, the material is processed, excess moisture and air are removed from it.
- The pressed form is sent to cutting, where the machine creates a "sausage" and cuts it into familiar pieces. This is how coconut charcoal cubes are obtained.
- This processing process does not end, the pieces are left to dry after processing. In addition, firing is done to fix the components in the composition and create a dense cube of excellent quality.
As you can see, the process of making coconut charcoal for hookah is quite complicated. At the same time, wholesale customers must ensure that no ordinary wood is added to the process. Sometimes low-quality manufacturers sin by cutting costs and increasing volumes. But the good thing is that such a product will not stay on the market for long. Most of the coir factories are located in Indonesia. This place is famous for its large amount of raw materials, and the climate allows drying directly in the open air. Almost all modern coal is produced in this country.